Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Frosted Sugar Cookie Pie... or what my warped mind creates when left to its own devices

My brain works in extremely weird ways.  It wanders, it daydreams, it mashes things together that it shouldn't at times.  When I call out to one of the boys, I usually have to go through roll call before I call them by the right name.  I can remember specific times, dates, places and events down to the minute, but I can't remember where I put my car keys.  But sometimes, sometimes, the quirky nature of my brain works to my advantage.

So the other day, when I announced that the Peanut Butter Cookie Pie won the Gygi Not Your Mama's Pie Contest, my older brother asked me to bring one to Christmas dinner.  I can do that, no problem.  It's not the only request.  My little sister wants a Chocolate Cream Pie as well, so that'll make the party as well.

But I need to bring a third pie and I like to do something inventive and experimental for this event.  For a couple of days, nothing came to mind.  Then as I was driving north on Bangerter, my mind stared rolling around ideas and it came to me.  What if I could take a normal Christmas dessert and transform it into a pie... And what did it concoct?  A sugar cookie pie.  I know... Sounds really weird.  But hear me out.

We all like Toll House Cookie Pie.  It's delicious.  The Peanut Butter Cookie Pie is just a variation of that and it's awesome, especially with chocolate sauce or hot fudge drizzled.  So why not make a few tricks to make a new cookie pie?  Do things like swap out the brown sugar for more white sugar to lighten it up.  Add a little more flour to stiffen up the dough.  Pour in a little more vanilla for a boost in the flavor.  And we're going to frost it...

YES I SAID FROST IT!  I know, Insanity!  Blasphemy!  But you know what?  It works.  It makes the whole thing look like a 2 pound cookie slab that may choke Santa out.  You add some sprinkles to the top and it's just downright freaking festive!

And you do have options on the crust.  You can use a standard crust, no problem.  You could also add some chocolate by making an oreo cookie crust, like we have on our Peanut Butter Cookie Pie.  And if you just want more sugar cookie taste, you could just buy a tube of pre-made sugar cookie dough, roll it out flat and use it as the pie crust.

Finally, make sure you have good sprinkles.  Not just the colored sugar, we're talking something colorful and interesting, like the holly leaves or snowflakes.  If we're going to make this thing look authentic, it's got to have the extra flourishes.


Frosted Sugar Cookie Pie


Pie
2 large eggs
3/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 stick of butter, brought to room temperature
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust


Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl until they are foamy.  Add the white sugar and beat on high speed until it becomes creamy.  Add the flour gradually until it is incorporated.  Add the butter and beat it again until it's well blended.  Pour in the vanilla and mix for 15 more seconds.  Scoop the mixture into the pie crust and smooth it out.

Bake in the 325 degree oven for 55-60 minutes or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out without any cookie dough attached.  Let the pie cool completely, then make your frosting.

Frosting
1/2 stick butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon milk
food coloring

Place the butter into a mixer and beat until fluffy.  Add the powdered sugar and slowly mix it in.  Add the vanilla and the milk and mix until thoroughly combined.  Slowly drip the food coloring into the bowl and mix. Repeat until you have the color you want.  Use a spatula to scoop the out the frosting and spread evenly over the cooled pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment