Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Some great takeout from China Chefs

Since we've making Asian food this month. I just wanted to talk a little about my favorite local Chinese takeout place.  The place I call when I don't want to make it myself.

China Chefs started with one location in Riverton/Herriman, but has been expanding recently.  They have another location out on 10600 South and 1100 West in South Jordan and plan on adding another 2 locations in the Salt Lake Valley soon.  Both locations offer sit down dining and take-out.  The Riverton location also offers a drive through window, so you can pick up your order without getting out the car.  A useful feature when you have three kids under 5 in the car.

Chinese food can be touchy, and at times downright scary.  You never know what their interpretation of the meal will be.  I've seen weird versions of Kung Pao.  I've seen menus where the only difference between Lemon Chicken and Sesame Chicken is the sesame seeds sprinkled on top.  I've had egg rolls where I've literally been able to squeeze oil out of them with my bare hands.  And I have had the 1:00 AM wake-up calls where I've spent the next hour or so playing Angry Birds on my phone in the bathroom because I'm afraid to leave. Chinese food nightmares can come from almost any Chinese restaurant.

Except China Chefs.

China Chefs portions are large.  Liz and I have tried a number of the options, Sesame Chicken, Kung Pao Beef, Chicken Lo Mein, Egg Fu Yung, Sweet and Sour Pork, etc., and we've yet to find something we don't like.  The egg rolls are crisp and delicious. When I get a winter cold, I buy a quart of their sure-fire remedy, the Hot and Sour Soup.

And since I'm a sucker for the heat, I have to mention the hot mustard.  Many of the other takeout Chinese places will just drop a couple ketchup-package-like containers of a paste that passes as hot mustard in the bottom of the bag.  They mix their own mustard at the restaurant, so it's nice and spicy.  Breathe wrong and the heat goes right to the sinuses, which is a very good thing. 

And the prices are pretty reasonable for the portion sizes.  As mentioned before, one individual dinner is enough for 2 meals.  The picture above is exactly how my General Tso's Chicken was packaged.  It's great the first day and microwaves extremely well.

So if you're in the south end of the valley and want some great Chinese food, stop by either locations and choose anything off the menu.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment