Monday, August 29, 2011

Chile Rellenos and the Grandma that made me appreciate food

A while back, I was eating a Mexican restaurant with my mom and she ordered a Chile Relleno.  When I asked her why, she said it was her Mom's favorite and it makes her think of all the good times they had. She passed a couple years ago, but she would have been 97 this year.  She was my prim and proper Grandma.  The one who's makeup was always perfect, her manners impeccable, her attitude regal and kind, but could assert her will when necessary. 

And she was the one who really taught me to try new things.  When I was a little kid, I was a really picky eater.  Until almost age five, I ate hot dogs and green beans almost exclusively.  Put something new in front of me, and you're pretty much assured to have most, if not all of it on the plate a half hour later.  When I hit elementary school, I expanded a bit.  You could get me a burger from the old Dee's drive-in, but PICKLES ONLY!  I'd even scream that into the loudspeaker from the back seat myself, just to make sure.  You could put ketchup on my hot dog , but that mustard was just icky.  And don't even thick about relish!  There's BIG difference between relish and pickles to a five year old.

I went on a trip to my Grandma Lucich's house when I was seven.  We had just visited my uncle (who lived up the mountain DIRECTLY across from the Lucas Ranch so we got to see some of the Empire Strikes Back development!!! But that's another story) and decided to go to this little restaurant on the water in Sausalito.  It was quaint and homey and received the freshest seafood you could get anywhere in the world.  Mom ordered a shrimp cocktail, Grandma wanted the salmon and I was going to get one of the kid's meals.  Grandma squashed that plan and said, "We're going to have you try something new.  How about some Giant Prawns?"

"Ewwww.... I don't wanna!", I said

She retorted, "Honey, it's just like big french fries with a really yummy type of ketchup."

"No!  I want a hot dog!!", I whined.

Then she looked me directly in the eye with a combination of caring, determination and the slightest bit of menace, "Honey, you are going to try this.  And if you really don't like it, we'll get you something else.  But you have to at least try it.... and if you eat it all, I'll get you some ice cream."

So reluctantly, I waited for my weird new food.  They looked like bugs, I knew it would be horrible, I knew
the hot dogs were on the way.  I turned my nose up at the extraterrestrial meal when it was placed in front of me.  Grandma reassured me it was all right... and that ice cream was just around the corner.  So I doused it in the "weird ketchup" so it would at least TASTE like a hot dog and took a bite... and I was hooked.  I ate every single one of those prawns and started eating the leftover cocktail sauce with my fingers.  My mother was a little shocked, but my Grandma just smiled.  I got that ice cream and loved every bite.  And from that point on, I started trying some new things, because it may be just as good as those prawns.  Seafood buffets around the nation have seen decreased profits since that fateful day.

Grandma's birthday was earlier in the month.  So in honor of Grandma Lucich, I'm making a batch of Chile Rellenos.  They are simpler than you would think.  The key is to get the skins off.  The combination of the grilling/broiling and the bag steam will lift them right off.  You'll see them bubble off the body as the heat seeps into the meat of the pepper.  When one-half or two-thirds of the  skins have bubbled up or charred, remove them from the heat and give them the necessary time to steam in the bag.  And this preliminary cooking will also soften them up so by the time they come out of the oil, the edge of the fork will slice through the pepper. 

Chile Rellenos
Makes 6 Chiles

6 large Poblano or Pasilla chiles
1 pound block monterey jack or your favorite type of cheese
6 eggs, separated into whites and yolks
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
Oil for frying

Take the peppers and either roast them on the barbecue or place them under the broiler.  Cook until the skin bubbles up or chars on each side, making sure to turn them frequently to prevent burning.  Remove from heat and seal in a ziploc bag for ten minutes so the skin loosens.  Remove from the bag and pull the skin membrane off, scrape with a knife if necessary.

Slice down one side of each pepper just enough to remove the seeds and internal veins.  Cut the cheese into long strips and place them inside the peppers.  Do not overstuff.  Close the peppers and seal the slit with either a toothpick or a piece of spaghetti.

Beat the egg yolks for 20 seconds in one bowl. Whip the egg whites in a second bowl until extremely frothy, two-thirds of the way to the state of meringue.  Fold in the egg yolks. 

Pour enough oil in a saucepan to come up 2 inches up the sides and heat to 350 degrees.  Place the flour on a plate next to the beaten eggs.  Roll one pepper in flour until lightly covered all over.  Dip into egg mixture until completely covered.  Immediately place in the oil, rolling it or completely submerging it so the exterior of the batter solidified (so it won't stick to the bottom).  Repeat and add more peppers to the oil, but do not crowd them.  Cook them in the oil for 4 minutes or until golden brown.

The chiles can be covered with anything you'd like.  I happened to have some enchilada sauce and shredded monterey jack cheese for the picture above.  You can also cover them in a melted queso sauce, chile verde, or whatever you'd like!

So try some today, remember your elders and show them some respect!  They may just teach you something.

No comments:

Post a Comment