Sunday, July 25, 2010

Spanish rice - as easy as the rice in the box, without the rice in the box taste

OK, so I really like Spanish rice. I'm like a long distance runner, I love to carb load... except that I don't believe in running unless I'm being chased by a grizzly bear, land shark or Godzilla, so I guess I'm not like a runner at all...

Anyway, Spanish Rice! I got addicted to great rice when I used to frequent a little hole in the wall taco joint in Seattle. Great street style tacos, but the rice was the perfect. The grains were tender but not mushy, the spices accented the meal well, but weren't too overpowering.

When I moved back to Salt Lake, I attempted to relive the experience but couldn't find something similar anywhere. I tried a number of the boxed Spanish rices for years and none of them were very good. Some were sticky, some were dry, some were the right color, but had no flavor. Some were a nuclear red-orange that looked like sweet and sour rice.

You know... nothing is worse that restaurant Spanish rice that has been soaked in a bland tomato sauce and is passed off as "a delicious side dish". No, Bad tacquiera!!! That kind of rice is just lazy and the affront to the senses should be pulverized and used as a substitute for kindergarten paste.

So I started tinkering with a few recipes that I found on the web and distilled it down to what I like. It has a few more steps than the boxed rice mixes, but has much more flavor. I actually will make extra so I can take the leftover to work the next day. Drench it in hot sauce, salsa and melted cheese, and then spread a little cubed chicken on top. You now have a great Mexican bowl. Here's the details:

Spanish Rice

Serves 4-6


1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
1/4 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
2 14.5 ounce cans of chicken broth
1 tablespoon taco seasoning (or 1+ teaspoons each of chili powder, cumin and coriander)
heaping 1/8 cup salsa
(Spicy version: add any of the following to taste (not all of them unless you want to burn out all of your nose hairs) : a couple teaspoons of hot sauce/habenero sauce, 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or one small minced jalapeno)

Dice the onion into small pieces. Mince the garlic cloves into very small pieces. Place the results of each to the side to add later.

Place a 2 quart or bigger saucepan on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the shortening and allow it to melt. Pour in the rice and slowly stir it until the rice begins to brown. At that point add the onions and stir for another two minutes so the onions start to become translucent. Add the garlic and stir for another 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth (watch out for the steam!), followed by the spices and the salsa. Stir until the concoction comes to a boil for two minutes, then drop the heat to low (add any spicy ingredients at this point too) and cover. Let it cook for another 20 minutes. Do NOT uncover unless it begins to boil over, and then uncover only long enough to let the bubbles subside.

Remove from the heat and let stand for another 5 minutes.

Place the contents into a bowl and fluff slightly with a fork and serve with any Mexican style dish. It pairs up well with the Beef Enchiladas, Tacos, Fajitas or Tequila Lime Enchiladas (coming soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment