Thursday, April 22, 2010

I'm so glad you're here, because that means we get pie!

First of all, welcome to everyone and thank you for reading the blog. I learned how to really cook as an early teenager and I've been coming up with recipes for the past couple of decades. But have I ever written them down? No! So I figured this blog would be a great way to not only document all of them, but it's an easy way to share them with friends, family and anyone else who thinks that they may sound tasty.

Now I know that the name of the blog is a little ... well... weird. But there's a story behind it. About 13 years ago, I lived in Seattle and was going through a heartbreaking divorce. My parents offered to fly me home for Thanksgiving so it wouldn't be as lonely. My food assignment was a coconut cream and chocolate cream pie. I had been making them for years and it had been my constant chore forever. So when I arrived, one of my cousin-in-laws came up, gave me a big hug, and said, "I'm so glad you're here...." I knew she had heard about all the horrible things that were done to me and I was appreciative of the sentiment.

And then she completed her thought, stating as serious as a heart attack, "... because that means we get pie!"

It caught me off guard for a minute. It wasn't a joke... wasn't sure how to react. But then I thought, you know, if my cooking is memorable enough that after a four year drought, she would be sitting there in rabid anticipation to have a slice of pie, I must be doing something right. So I accepted the compliment and made sure she got a slice of each with extra whipped cream.

My plan it to post a recipe, a comment about food or just a note about cooking, restuarants, or anything food-related at least once a week, maybe more if I can. So please check back often.

Our first recipe, the Coconut Cream Pie...

No comments:

Post a Comment